Winamp 5.0 is a fast, smooth working, good looking and
very stable audio and video player. Installation is very easy. It also transfers
your online radio bookmarks automatically from your older Winamp.
The main reason this program became the choice of
most professional producer is it's simplicity. It's very easy to learn
and a breeze to use.
On the other end it provides a lot of sophisticated functionality by
the use of plug-ins for power users. This approach makes the program
easy to navigate and yet very powerful.
Plug-in either a CD or MP3 CDs, and
Winamp 5.0 begins playing
your tunes. No more loading times in the new version.
If the format you would like to play is not supported by the main application,
there's a good chance you can download an input plug-in, that supports
this file. The following formats are already built-in:
- MP3/MP2 (MPEG audio layers 1, 2, and 3)
- MOD/S3M/XM/IT (digital synthesized music formats)
- MIDI/MID (musical instrument digital interface)
- WAV/VOC (digital audio file)
- CDA (compact disc audio)
- WMA (Windows Media Audio)
- AS/ASFS (Audiosoft secure MP3 file)
Sound quality in winamp is no real topic, since you
can use the original
Fraunhofer codec or other codecs as plug ins. This is simply the best
solution you can get therefore
not much more to say about it. But they improved the efficiency of the
program because it uses a little less CPU power than before.
Interface Customization is key in this program. There are thousands
of skins (looks and styles of the control surface) available for download
from the Nullsoft site. You can also visit Nullsoft's Developer Network
for a step by step instruction to develop your own skins.
It features ID3v2, an MPEG tagging system that delivers
the song title, artist's personal information, Web site links, lyrics,
player equalizer presets, and graphics. This however is only possible when
the original artist (or whoever encoded the song) included this information.
Winamp 5.0 pro or the free version
together with a good Ripper/Encoder are
the basic tools,
when you deal with handling audio on a PC.
- Free (except the pro version)
- Supports many audio file formats
MP3, OGG, AAC, WAV, MOD, XM, S3M, IT, MIDI, etc...
- New version is faster than 3.0
- Easy to use interface
- The original Fraunhofer codec makes it sound good
- Supports ID3v2 tags for artist, title, links, lyrics, EQ presets, etc...
- Takes longer loading time than version 2
- Fast ripping/encoding only in Pro-version
- TV is nice idea but not very useful in practice
- Video is only rudimentary implemented
(98 SE, ME, 2000, XP, Windows 2003)